Shock means that your body and its functions are shutting down. The body goes into shock when it can't get enough blood to
the vital organs like your heart or brain. This may be caused by a sudden illness, an injury, or bleeding. Sometimes even a mild injury will lead to
Shock is a life-threatening condition. If a person develops signs of shock, call 911 or other emergency services and
begin home treatment immediately.
Signs of shock include:
Prompt home treatment can save the
ByHealthwise StaffPrimary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency MedicineAdam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Current as ofMarch 20, 2017
Current as of:
March 20, 2017
William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Last modified on: 8 September 2017